Washington Village Hall (the “Village Hall”) is located at the foot of the South Downs, two minutes walk away from the famous South Downs Way. It serves the local community centred around the village of Washington in West Sussex, England. For more information about our village and the local area see our village and our local area
The Village Hall
The Village Hall originated as a Reading Room built in 1910. After the Second World War an additional, larger hall was built adjoining the Reading Room, in memory of all those killed in both World Wars. The original Reading Room is now known as the Dore’ Room, the addition is known as the Chanctonbury Room and jointly the whole building is the Washington Village Memorial Hall. Over the period of 2005 – 2009 a major refurbishment project took place to extend and modernise the facilities and bring into being the building that exists today.
The Village Hall is administered and managed by a Charity (No. 278148) called The Washington Village Memorial Hall Charity. The object of the Charity is:
“The provision and maintenance of a village hall for the use of the inhabitants of the parish of Washington and the neighbourhood thereof without distinction of political, religious or other opinions including use for meetings lectures and classes and for other forms of recreation and leisure time occupation with the object of improving the conditions of life for the said inhabitants.”
The Trustee Board
The overall management of the Village Hall is the responsibility of the Trustee Board. The day to day running of the Village Hall is delegated to a number of functional teams, each manned by one or more volunteers. For more details see governance